1. How can I apply to become a Teach For Armenia Fellow?
To apply to the Teach For Armenia Fellowship, please fill out our online application. Simply click on the Apply button. Take note of application deadlines and make sure you submit yours on time. We do not accept hard-copy applications by mail.
2. What is the duration of the Fellowship?
The Fellowship is a two-year leadership program. To learn more about the two-year journey, read here.
3. Who is eligible to apply for the Fellowship?
Candidates must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria to be able to apply for the Fellowship, including:
- Have obtained a Bachelor’s degree by July 2017
- Be fluent in Armenian and possess strong speaking and writing skills
- Have a work permit and a social security card (or obtain one until September 2017)
- Be able to make a two year full-time teaching commitment from July 2017 until May 2019
4. Who is Teach For Armenia looking for?
Teach For Armenia is looking for Fellows who demonstrate a record of academic and leadership achievement, and who are eager to reinvest their knowledge and skills through the support of a genuinely transformative initiative for Armenia. To see full eligibility criteria, please click here.
5. Where will Fellows teach?
Teach For Armenia Fellows will be placed in schools serving children from primarily underserved communities across different regions of the Republic of Armenia. Placement is ultimately determined by Teach For Armenia based on need and accessibility to partner schools. The fellows do not choose their placement school.
6. What will Fellows teach?
Fellows will be placed in schools to teach grade levels and subjects based on their qualifications and skill set, in conjunction with the needs of the partner schools.
7. Will Teach For Armenia Fellows receive training before they start teaching?
Yes, all Teach For Armenia Fellows will go through a rigorous six-week training program called Summer Institute. Additionally, each Fellow will be assigned a mentor who will train and support them in leadership and professional development throughout their two-year commitment.
8. What are the 2017 application deadlines?
Applications will be accepted continuously with 4 interim deadlines: January 31st, February 28th, March 31st and April 30th. The sooner you complete and submit your application, the the sooner you will receive news on your participation in the program.Click on Apply to start your application now.
9. How will the Teach For Armenia leadership development experience help Fellows grow professionally?
We select the best and the brightest to participate in our Fellowship. In order to equip them with the necessary skills for teaching, we couple our rigorous six-week Summer Institute training course with ongoing support from experienced professionals and mentors throughout the two-year assignment. The development path culminates in Fellows receiving an accredited teaching qualification, growing as a professional and a leader and unveiling their full potential.
10. When will Summer Institute take place?
Our Fellows will report to Summer Institute in July 2017. Specific dates and times will be announced at a later time and communicated directly to applicants accepted into the program.
11. Benefits and Compensation Fellows receive:
- Competitive salary & financial support
- Tuition for Certificate/Master’s Degree in Education during the fellowship.
- Alumni status of Teach For Armenia and Teach For All global network
- Shared professional and cultural development opportunities with partner organizations
12. What is the selection process?
The application for the Teach For Armenia Fellowship 2017 will be opened on 9 January 2017. Applications will be accepted continuously with 4 interim deadlines: January 31st, February 28th, March 31st and April 30th. The sooner you complete and submit your application, the sooner you will receive news on your participation in the program. Click on Apply to start your application now. The Teach For Armenia admissions process is uniquely designed to help us identify applicants who possess the characteristics that will make them successful in this program. Our selection process consists of four steps. In order to apply to become a Fellow at Teach For Armenia you must first fill out and submit the online application on our webpage. Your application will be reviewed, and if successful, you will proceed to the next phase, the phone interview. During the phone interview we get to know you better and see how your skills and passions match ours. Candidates who advance will be invited to attend a subject test, to make sure you have sufficient proficiency level in the subject they are going to teach. Should you pass the subject test, you will be invited to a day-long in-person interviewing event called Assessment Center.
Note: For overseas applicants, Distant Subject Tests and Assessment Centers will be administered virtually (i.e. Skype and WebEx).
This is your first opportunity to tell us about yourself. In the online application you will be asked to provide contact details and information regarding your academic and extracurricular achievements, employment history, personal letter of intent, as well as a series of background and personal questions. You may save your application and return to it at a later date, but please keep in mind that applications must be submitted in full prior to the deadlines mentioned in order for them to be considered.
Apply here to start your application.
During the phone interview we will assess your competencies and fit with Teach For Armenia. You will be contacted ahead of time and given a choice of dates and times to select from. Please make sure that you are fully prepared prior to the interview time. Phone interviews usually last approximately 30-45 minutes.
The candidates will pass a test on the subject(s) that they applied to teach. Besides they will receive an analytical reading task. The tests will check the school program knowledge of the candidate for the given subject(s) and will allow to assess their capacity to teach the given subject. You will be notified in advance of the testing location and time.
The all-day interview process is comprised of several stages, including but not limited to:
- Personal Interview
- Sample Lesson Plan
- Group Exercises
13. Why join Teach For Armenia?
Teach For Armenia enables Fellows to:
- Explore their true career calling and passion
- Develop and strengthen their leadership skills
- Create networking opportunities
- Have a meaningful impact on the lives of their students
- Give back to Armenia’s communities through service
14. Can Fellows teach for just one year instead of two?
No. Teach For Armenia’s Fellowship requires a commitment of two years. This ensures sufficient commitment to the partner schools as well as maximum growth and professional development for Fellows. According to the professional aspirations of the fellow they can stay in the field for a longer period of time, after their graduation from the Fellowship.
15. What options do alumni of Teach For Armenia have after completing the program?
Teach For Armenia Fellows have many different career perspectives following their two-year Fellowship. Some Fellows choose to remain in the teaching profession while others transfer their new skills to a different career. Teach For Armenia recommends that its alumni pursue vacancies with its partner companies and organizations.
Throughout the two-year teaching commitment, Teach For Armenia Fellows have many networking opportunities with our partners to build strong professional relationships. The skills that alumni develop through the Fellowship are highly regarded by our partner organizations and companies.
At the end of your two-years leadership development program, you will be in contact with our Alumni Coordinator, who will be responsible for incorporation of your new skills and competences in your career path and for supporting you after the Fellowship.
16. Do I need to have any teaching experience before I apply?
Teach For Armenia does not require its Fellows to have any specific teaching experience or qualifications before applying to the Fellowship. For all its Fellows Teach For Armenia provides quality support and mentoring to prepare them for teaching. Additionally, those fellows, who do not hold a Teacher’s certificate, pursue a Master’s Degree in Education throughout the period of the Fellowship. The tuition fee is covered by Teach For Armenia.
17. I graduate in the middle of 2017. Can I apply to teach for the 2017 academic year?
Yes, you can as long as you hold a minimum of Bachelor’s degree by July 2017.
18. Can I apply to the Fellowship if I do not speak Armenian?
No. All Teach For Armenia Fellows must have strong written and verbal Armenian language skills.
19. If I'm not accepted can I reapply the same year?
No. Fellows may not apply twice in the same year. You are encouraged to pursue volunteer or work opportunities that will strengthen your application for the following year.
20. Can I decide where I want to be placed?
Fellows cannot select a region or school for placement. This decision is taken solely by Teach For Armenia, to allow the maximum match between the profile of the Fellow and the needs of the placement school..
21. Does Teach For Armenia provide room and board during the six-week Summer Institute?
Yes. During Summer Institute, Fellows are provided with accommodations and meals.
22. Where do Fellows stay during the two years?
Teach For Armenia Fellows stay in rented apartments or houses near school locations. Most of our Fellows can room with other Fellows. The fellows are responsible for their own accommodation.
23. What schools are Fellows placed to teach in?
Teach For Armenia Fellows are placed in various partner public schools across Armenia. New partnerships are being formed on a regular basis. The chosen schools are the ones, which need the Fellow the most and your placement school will be the one that is the best fit for your profile.
24. Would I teach full-time?
Yes. Teach For Armenia Fellows are considered to be full-time teachers.
25. Can I become a Fellow without a pedagogical degree?
Yes. We do not require our Fellows to have a pedagogical degree when applying for the Fellowship. For more eligibility criteria, please click here.
26. Will Teach For Armenia Fellowship provide me with Military Deferment
No. At the moment Teach For Armenia Fellowship does not substitute Military Service, nor provides with a Deferment for the duration of the program.
27. What should I do if I have technical issues with the online application or registration?
We apologize for any inconvenience you may have while registering or applying online. Send us a description of your technical issue(s) through our Contact Us section and we will help you resolve the issues.